Patient Group Minutes of Meeting, Reports and Surveys

The latest minutes of the Patient Group meetings are below - for copies of previous minutes please contact the PPG via our secure online form

 

Minutes of the Meeting of the OPPG held by Zoom on Wednesday, 10 March, 2021 

Present:  Lita Gray(LG), Gill Grant(GG), Heather Murdoch,(HM) Jean Clark(JC)

1. Discussion on planning new look for PPG for 2021. 
All agreed this to be deferred to another meeting as there are many ideas and suggestions to consider before proceeding.

2. Facebook communication for PPG and HM email comments. 
After researching the Lakeside Surgery Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/LakesideHealthcareOundle/) page there appears to currently be two sites operating with one last being used in 2019 (https://www.facebook.com/OundleMedicalPractice).  We agreed to query/raise this with Carol Beesley.  HM found there are approx  528 followers on the main site and commented it would be a huge step forward for awareness of the OPPG.  
It was also suggested to include a suggestion box for patients on the Facebook page.  We agreed to discuss this in more detail at the next meeting.

3. Email follow up to PH re: the communication Manager role
All agreed to put on hold for a few weeks.  GG to follow up.

4. Spokesperson for future meetings
It was put forward that LG to be Spokesperson for future meetings and LG accepted to undertake this. It was also agreed to alternate the Minute Taking between the other 3 members.

5. Helen Vowles email and comments
HV sent an email to Lita expressing her thanks and gratitude to the four members of the newsletter team for continuing to be active for the PPG.  HV also advised of her confusion in a link found on the Oundle Medical Centre website with regard to the NHS Covid Vaccination Programme.  It advised her to contact her local surgery to arrange a second covid vaccination.  However Oundle were not able to do this when she contacted them. She also asked if it was possible for the old message for patients on the surgery answer machine to be changed. HV also informed the PPG that a friend of hers would like to become a member.  As we were not sure if the necessary form had been completed online. We agreed to find out. HV has since said she would forward the details of the interested party to the PPG.

6. LG advised that only two members had responded to her latest email.  The members being Helen Vowles and Celia Flory.  As we only received two replies from the previous email regarding continuation of the PPG during the pandemic as well, LG suggested that we contact each member individually to see if they would like to continue being an active member of the committee.   If people wished to cease their involvement they can be removed from the group. It was agreed to do this in due course.

7. Jane Coulson’s senior engagement Manager at CCG response to GG Email relating to NHS Guidelines
AC advised there are national guidelines relating to information going into the public domain because the NHS is still in a high level incident response mode to Covid19 pandemic.  Everything put out needs to be approved by NHS England national and regional teams.  She advised the best way to get up to date information is to go on the link:

www.cambridgeshireandpeterboroughccg.nhs.uk/news-and-events/latest-news/COVID-19 -national-vaccination-programme/

Meeting ended 3.30 p.m. Date of next meeting of the OPPG is on Weds 23 March 2021 at 2.30 pm via Zoom.

 

Minutes of the Oundle Patients Participation Group meeting held via Zoom on 24th February 2021.

Present: Lita Gray (LG), Jean Clark (JC), Gill Grant (GG), Heather Murdoch(HM).

1. The group expressed their gratitude to Professor Robert Harris, Chief Executive of Lakeside Healthcare, regarding his correspondence with GG. His very positive and helpful responses were very much appreciated, and it was agreed we would continue to ask his advice and assistance when/where appropriate.

2. We have all heard from patients in Oundle of their negative experience when visiting “reception” at the practice of: 

  • people standing in the rain, feeling cold as they wait outside,   
  • feeling embarrassed passing their samples through a half open window and of feeling unwelcome standing at a window outside. We agreed that patients could find the half-shut windows unwelcoming and unnecessary. 

3. We agreed we would ask the management whether this could be addressed so that Oundle patients can have a functional, safe, and welcoming reception at their medical practice.  It was felt this could be included in any  correspondence to Professor Harris for his thoughts regarding this.

4. We discussed the Practice Manager’s (Carol Beesley) email responses in reply to OPPG’s email of 21st February 2021, regarding concerns and suggestions.  Whilst we felt positive that some issues are being addressed, some remain ongoing.  

5. We appreciate the working relationship we are developing with Carol (Practice Manager) and her responses to the OPPG.

6. Once verified, Oundle Patients will be able to email the OPPG as well as ‘follow’ Lakeside Oundle Facebook for information.  We are informed by the Practice that an updated telephone system should soon be in place and that a Communications Manager is to be appointed imminently covering all the Lakeside Healthcare practices.

7. Lakeside Healthcare Oundle is a member of the National Association of Patients Participation (NAPP).  JC offered to monitor their data, advice, and information, so that we can continually be improving our service to the Practice and Oundle patients.

8. Disappointment was expressed that the Practice Manager is unable to give the OPPG members a copy of the NHS guidelines that direct the practice.  GG offered to ask an executive member of the CCG for further information regarding this, so that we can be assured we always follow correct procedure.

9. It was decided that later in the year we would contact all OPPG members who are still registered on our list, to ascertain whether they wanted to continue being an active member.  We remain committed to an “open door” policy with new members warmly welcomed.  

10. It was agreed that LG be named as Temporary Spokesperson and JC as Temporary Secretary on the Patient Participation page of the practice website.  It is envisaged these roles, and others as they evolve, will be rotated, and shared throughout the OPPG.

 

Minutes of the Meeting of the OPPG held by Zoom on Wednesday, 10 February, 2021

Present:  Lita Gray, Gill Grant, Heather Murdoch, Jean Clark

1. A discussion was held regarding the local online forum ‘Nextdoor’. Members have observed a discussion thread on the site whereby locals were discussing the vaccination programme and were commenting on various issues.  Including why they had to travel to Stanground for the vaccination rather than be able to obtain this in Oundle. The group discussed the benefits of being able to communicate with a wider audience if we could use the forum to respond to such queries to advise patients on such issues. It is also seen as a good opportunity for the PPG to promote our voluntary group with a view to attracting new members and to communicate various other relevant issues to the local community. A point was raised regarding communications via this channel and compliance with NHS guidelines if the PPG are disseminating information relating to Lakeside matters.  It was suggested we discuss with Carol Beesley to seek clarification on this point before we proceed to use this channel.

2. In the response to LG’s PPG email of 2/2/21 regarding our suggestion to update patients with regular communications on the Vaccination Program (i.e.weekly), Practice Manager, Carol Beesley (email received on 5/2/21), advised that all communications regarding the Covid 19 Vaccination Program, must be approved by NHS England and that they are not able to publish any information regarding clinic dates, numbers of patients vaccinated and numbers vaccinated etc. The group discussed the need to have a better understanding of the Guidelines relating to this so that the PPG are more aware of the compliance issues.  It was agreed to email CB to seek clarification by requesting how we can obtain a copy of the guidelines or to refer us to a site we can access this information. It was agreed that once we have a better understanding then the PPG’s expectations for clearer and more regular communications may change as a result.

3. It was agreed to refer CB directly to Liz Holland at Volunteer Action to obtain a statement to go on the Practice website regarding possible VA assistance for transport for some patients to the vaccination site in Stanground. It was suggested that the Practice could also add the statement on the Oundle Practice Facebook page to further highlight the possible assistance for transport.  

4. CB advised in her email that in response to our suggestion of a dedicated helpline or answerphone service for vaccination queries, that the practice were going to trial a new telephone option on the answerphone system between 10a.m. and 3 p.m. daily. It was agreed by all that it was a positive step to help clarify some of the concerns that patients have regarding obtaining information from the surgery on this matter.

5. In view of the current difficulties, it was agreed to postpone the meeting planned for Wednesday 24 February until further notice, when all current OPPG members would be all current OPPG members would be included.

6. The group discussed new titles for active members in PPG meetings going forward. As the suggestion is to rotate the Chairperson and Secretary roles in future rather than the same person have the responsibility each meeting. It was muted that possible alternative titles could be Spokesperson to replace Chairperson and Minute Taker to replace Secretary.  It was agreed to put this forward at the next general PPG meeting.  Date to be agreed.

7. A discussion took place on how to improve communication between the Practice and patients.  We were pleased to learn that Lakeside Healthcare are in the process of appointing a Communications Officer, which should enable/provide/yield better lines of communication between patients and all the Lakeside

8. The group discussed ways to promote awareness of the PPG.  Suggestions were made to get posters printed for distribution in Suggestions of various areas to do this is to get posters printed to place at various venues in the town and to use the towns electronic notice boards at the Library, town centre and Waitrose as well as the local forum Nextdoor and the AGM later in the year as some options.  To be discussed in more detail at a later meeting. 

9. It was discussed how the PPG members can access the PPG emails on the website for section “How to Join PPG?”and information regarding “About the PPG”. LG to email CB about this and Liz Holland (previous Chairperson) to request this information.

It was reaffirmed, the OPPG would continue to meet fortnightly until further notice whilst the current Covid situation continues.

Date of Next Meeting of the Newsletter Group of the OPPG on Weds 24 February 2021 at 2.30 pm via Zoom.

 

Minutes of a Zoom Meeting of the Oundle Patient Participation Group held on Friday, 15th January, 2021

Present:  Lita Gray, Gill Grant, Heather Murdoch, Jean Clark

1. A discussion was held regarding concerns raised by patients from the Oundle and surrounding areas community.  In the main this consisted of anxieties relating to the Covid 19 vaccination process only being undertaken at Stanground surgery. The varying reasons for this are:

  • Some of the more senior residents feel uncomfortable driving to a different surgery and having to locate the Stanground surgery a not all people have satellite navigation in their cars and don’t feel confident in driving there.  Especially during the winter months.
  • Not all residents can drive or have cars to be able to get themselves to Stanground surgery.
  • There isn’t a direct public transport link from Oundle to Stanground which would mean people would have to go via Peterborough and change buses to get to Stanground.  Then do the same for the return journey.  This would be even more difficult for those in the surrounding villages.
  • Not everyone has a family member/friend to be able to take or go with them.  

It was suggested that Volunteer Action are able to provide transport for a number of patients, but that they have a limited number of drivers who are able to undertake these journeys.

The group further discussed the awareness that some patients felt so strongly that they had raised the issue with local MP Tom Pursglove.

The group agreed to raise concerns with the surgery by emailing Carol Beesley (Practice Manager) for the Practice’s views on the matter.

 

2. A concern was also raised by a number of patients that they feel the Practice has not communicated the vaccine process as much as they would like other than on the website.  Whilst it was recognized that this is an important method of communication, not all people have access to computers and it would be helpful if other mediums were used as well.

It was recognized that during the pandemic things can change very quickly and it was suggested that we would email Carol Beesley to ask if it was possible to give regular bulletins to update patients of any changes they should be aware of i.e. weekly updates, via a variety of methods including texts, emails, Facebook etc.

It was agreed to make a suggestion for weekly communication bulletins via email to Carol Beesley.

Date of Next Meeting of the OPPG on Wednesday 27 January 2021 at 2.30 pm via Zoom.

 

Minutes of the Meeting of the OPPG held by Zoom on Wednesday, 27th January, 2021

Present:  Lita Gray, Gill Grant, Heather Murdoch, Jean Clark

1. A discussion was held regarding the explanation and clarification on the Lakeside Healthcare Oundle website regarding Covid-19 vaccines for Oundle Surgery patient at Stanground Surgery, Peterborough.  It was noted that a certain amount of disquiet regarding this decision had been appearing on social media within the community and It was felt that a degree of clarification from the surgery could help assuage this.

2. An email from the Practice Manager and its attachment had been received on 26 January 2021 and was noted.  However, concern was expressed that we had not yet received an answer to our email sent on 15th January 2021 (see attached) particularly in relation to the idea of a weekly bulletin on the status of the vaccination programme.

3. All present had been approached by Oundle residents regarding what seemed confusing information re. the Covid-19 vaccinations and a suggestion was made as to whether the Surgery could provide a specific ‘vaccine helpline’ where patients could get help with any queries they may have in attending their vaccination appointments, e.g. the fact that transportation could be available via Volunteer Action as well as the Local Authority Helpline (0345 045 5219)

4. It was agreed all members of the OPPG as shown on the Minutes of the AGM held 6th October 2020 (excluding those who had resigned) would be invited to a Zoom meeting on 24th February 2021 at 5.30 pm/6.00 pm so as to ascertain who was willing in being actively involved with the OPPG.  During the vaccine rollout, current members will meet fortnightly.

Date of Next Meeting of the Newsletter Group of the OPPG on 10 February 2021 at 2.30 pm via Zoom.

© Tree View Designs Ltd 2021